<span class="highlight">Tyre</span> pressure for Simpson

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:06
ThreadID: 69949 Views:4139 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
What's the best tyre pressures for Simpson?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ajd - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:19

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:19
Homer Simpson or Bob Simpson?

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 370701

Reply By: Voxson - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:35

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:35
I run 20psi the whole way across. Never had a problem.
AnswerID: 370704

Follow Up By: Shirls - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:41

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:41
Thankyou.
FollowupID: 638595

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:38

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:38
The pressures that work.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 370706

Follow Up By: Shirls - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:37

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:37
Thanks for the hot tip
FollowupID: 638592

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:43

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:43
Shirls,

Depends on certain factors...... tyre pressures can be a personal choice depending on your particular rig and level of experience. We have a reasonable amount of off road experience in our GQ Patrol, and based on that I dropped my tyres to 18psi during my stint in the Simpson Desert. Others have said 20psi is OK and I would agree with that as well. But without knowing your level of experience, can I suggest doing a 4X4 course or at least joining a club that runs a regular Driver awareness Program? You will learn there's much more to off road driving than simply tyre pressures.

Regards

Brian
AnswerID: 370707

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:48

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:48
Hi!. You've had a couple of clever answers already. I've been taught by old hands to vary the pressures to suit the conditions. The Simpson is a big area (like 600+ km along to common routes) and conditions vary from hard to very soft; some rock; lots of corrugated hard stuff; some years there's mud sometimes none. Please remember there's a 40kph speed limit also, which favours softer presssures.
So here's my summary: approach roads and firm ground: around 24PSI. Once you hit the dune country, down to 16PSI and leave it there until you leave the dunes. Obviously, if you intend to speed up within the desert area (depending where you are tracking) you may want to pressure up to the low 20s, and the drop back again if you hit soft going (mud or sand).
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 370710

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:52

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 16:52
Just seen Brian's contribution, and I agree with him. Selecting the right gear, right speed, learning to handle the dunes (especially the bit at the top) are all essential to a happy trip. No article in a 4x4 mag can substitute for training (in my case, in situ, with an old pro).
FollowupID: 638010

Follow Up By: Shirls - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:38

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:38
Thanks Chris
FollowupID: 638593

Reply By: RobAck - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:29

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 18:29
If you are asking the question then we can only assume this is your first trip? If so then as per the other advice the cheapest investment you will make in your 4WD is a decent 4WD course. Get that done before you go and you will learn all about how to select the correct tyre pressures, gear and range for the terrain you are travelling through.

Whilst tyre pressures are vital they count for jot if you don't know how to drive your vehicle in sand. The Simpson can be particularly challenging and by that I mean the French Line. But the other tracks can be equally as challenging and the right skills and vehicle setup are essential to completing a crossing without vehicle damage and with great memories

Apart from that you should start around 18 psi and will probably end up around 16 but again there are lots of variables and this is where the benefits of good training come into play

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 370732

Follow Up By: Shirls - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:41

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:41
You assume wrong, plenty of treks but I just needed the surface type on this crossing but cut to the chase and asked the pressures instead, but thanks for the info.

Cheers
FollowupID: 638594

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:05

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 19:05
Shirls
Having travelled the Simpson more times than I can count, and every possible away across, including true remote cross country taking in Geosurvey Hill and the Geographical Centre, you will find that there are very few crossing the same as the previous. There have been times when 20psi have been good and times when 14psi were still too high.

Factors that will effect you final outcome will include:

time of day
desert temperatures
time of the year
when it last rained.
who competent a sand driver you are
the weight carried in your vehicle

the list goes on...........................

Any first time traveller, I would say start at 16 - 18 psi and you should be on the mark

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 370741

Follow Up By: viz - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:03

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 20:03
Very good answer - I consider myself a bit of a past master on sand driving, but would approach the Simpson very much as a novice (driving there for the first time in September, via the Birdsville Races), so advice like this I would closely listen to.

Be aware that the lower the pressure the easier it is to drive on sand and the less strain you put on the drivetrain, AND the slower you should go, AND the greater the danger of spinning the rim inside the tyre.

I start of at 22, and adjust down to 16 if required, though that has to be loose dry sand if I go that low. I adjust down in increments of 2 psi, and may take 14 psi if need be - 12 psi is pushing it

10 psi for emergencies only - the risk of spinning the rim or damaging the tyre is high - however it will get you out trouble probably quicker than any other method.

viz

FollowupID: 638039

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:15

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:15
Viz,
You will find desert sand driving driving different to whatever sand driving you've done before, so I personally would not do as you suggest.

Like Stephen, I love the desert country and have done a lot of trips out there over the past 30 odd years, and I agree 100% with his suggestions.

You seem concerned about lowering tyre pressures too far. But for Simpson Desert travel its best to start at lower pressures because past experience says it works out there - and in addition, you'll find your vehicle will be working easier, it will use less fuel and you can drive the dunes more slowly - many of the approaches are deeply scalloped from vehicles running too much air, and if you take them too fast, you will do damage - not just suspension, but I've seen dual cabs with bent chassis from taking these dunes too fast. Most vehicles are loaded to the hilt out there.

I have never seen a vehicle roll a tyre off a rim in the desert. But I've seen it countless times close to home - at places like Peake and Beachport where our 4wd clubs teach sand driving.

Tyre damage is most likely to occur when travelling to and from the desert - the bigger sharp stones on the Oodnadatta, Birdsville and Pedirka tracks will easily penetrate the tread if you travel too fast, with too much pressure, too much weight or with tyres that are >50% worn. Its rare to damage a tyre on the central tracks in the Simpson Desert.
FollowupID: 638075

Follow Up By: viz - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:42

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 22:42
One of the reasons that I participate in forums like this - genuine gold this advice.

Thanks for that.

I am not in disagreement with your advice at all - what initial tyre pressures would you go down to for dune travelling? Considering that my Cruiser has 285/75s which is a bloody huge footprint :)

I have a love for the desert too, but have yet done little serious travel in it. I mainly have flown planes over it and/or landed at outback stations or towns, then gone driving somewhere. This time around I want to have some serious looking at places that I have flown over, without biting off more than I can chew.

Nothing beats (for me) swagging under the stars in the desert on a clear night...

Well, almost nothing - better if someone is in the swag with you ;)

viz
FollowupID: 638080

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:05

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:05
Viz,
Most of my recent travel has been on 265/75 but I now run 285/75 as well.

I run 24F/28R as soon as I leave the bitumen, and limit the speed to 80kph.

I air down to 16F/20R when you reach the dunes near Purnie Bore in the west or Big Red in the east. The only times I've gone lower was when the dunes were very soft after a hot dry summer and when I was running Goodyear MTRs which don't air down as well as other tyres.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 638085

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:06

Thursday, Jun 18, 2009 at 23:06
Hi Viz
The bigger the foot print, the better. Like Phil has said above, on the normal travelled tracks over the Simpson, we have never had any tyre trouble what so ever ( I will not comment on the cross country trip, pure virgin dunes, some real big mothers. Side wall punctures were the norm. Our record was 2 days in a row with no puncture at all out of 15 days) If it is your first trip to the Simpson, 16 psi will be great starting point. You are only travelling slow, usually 3rd high and between 30 - 40 kilometres per hour, sometimes slower. It is not a race, take your time, there is lots to see. On one of our east / west crossings a good number of years ago, we zig zagged all over the desert and spent 8 nights enjoying the Simpson Desert solitude.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638086

Follow Up By: Shirls - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:47

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 13:47
Excellent stuff. Thanks
FollowupID: 638597

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:45

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 14:45
That reminds me!! The first time I drove the Simpson in my Prado, I heeded the advice to use High 1st, and because of the petrol V6 engine, and my beliefs about its torque curve, I kept the revs up around 3000 rpm. The first big dune we met up with showed the ability of a loaded Prado to become literally airborne!!
When you think about it, high 1st at 3000 is around 35 plus kph, a bit much for a sharp dune crest.
These days, I tend to use low 3rd for the sharper dunes, approach at around 2700 rpm, and then let it fall back to around 1000 rpm or less at the crest, or a speed in the teens.
I know that Stephen was not suggesting 30 plus regardless, but his words just triggered memories of a very interesting experience!!
FollowupID: 638604

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:57

Monday, Jun 22, 2009 at 18:57
Hi Chris, I have not taken my Prado diesel through the Simpson yet, but from situations like you have outlined, this is why I prefer a diesel. With our old 2.8 Pajero, I would uses 1st High, but just idle up at just over 1600 rpm, because as you know, loose your torque with a petrol vehicle, it is a very quick gear change and hope that you do not get bogged. In relation to the speed, I should have stated in the swales that speed is usually 30 - 40 kilometres per hour and always approach all dunes with caution. Speed at the top of a dune and a vehicle approaching from the other way without a sand flag will lead to a situation that I would not like to see.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 638639

Reply By: Member - Black Mac - Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 08:37

Friday, Jun 19, 2009 at 08:37
Have a look at [url=http://www.direct4wd.com.au/]
Jock
AnswerID: 370837

Sponsored Links